Tuesday, October 20, 2009

I'll eat you up I love you so.


Where the Wild Things Are. Awesome. I.Love.This.Film. I had heard mixed reviews, but had high hopes for the adaptation of the book. After seeing this wonderful film last night I certainly hope that I never become someone who doesn’t appreciate a clear reminder of the simple joys of childhood. The film really hit home and reminded me of what it was like to be a kid. When you could scream and run and just be wild; using your pure creativity to escape reality for hours upon hours. It prompted me to reminisce on some of my favorite memories from my childhood especially the hours I spent entertaining myself in a way only a child’s imagination can. Here is a list of things I miss:

1. Running so fast you feel like your heart is going to pop out of your little chest.
2. Collecting billions of acorns and painting them before giving them back to the forest because I thought the squirrels would like prettier things to eat in the winter.
3. Pretending to be a wolf and leader of my own wolf pack.
4. Building tree houses and tee pees.
5. Having a pet rock that I took everywhere.
6. Pretending magnolia leaves where actual money.
7. Dressing up in my dad’s army clothes.
8. Climbing trees to the very tippy top.
9. Collecting salamanders.
10. Stealing neighborhood stray cats and hiding them in my bedroom even though my dad was allergic.
11. Talking to myself for hours when there was no one to play with and having just the best time.
12. Singing my own made up songs in the bathtub for what seemed like hours.
13. The excitement of Christmas morning.
14. Picking out my outfit for the first day of school.
15. The feeling the first time I went passed the mailbox and discovered a whole new side of the neighborhood.
16. Playing in the creek.
17. Climbing through rock tunnels.
18. Playing in sewers.
19. Eating all the marshmallows out of the Lucky Charms box and leaving the rest.
20. Most of all, I miss feeling invincible. There was a time when I wasn’t scared of anything. No stress, no worry, no bills etc. My biggest worry was did I leave my bike outside or is the neighborhood association going to tear down my tree house? I credit my mom 100% for that feeling and feel extremely lucky to have had such a carefree and fun childhood. I would love to go back and play in the creek today with my wolf pack and begin harvesting the acorns for the squirrels, alas; I am off to a meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment